We hear it all the time, “I think I’ve hit a weight loss plateau”. Our suggestion? Go back to the basics of when you first started focusing on losing weight.
Over time we start to get a little more lax with our nutrition and those little missteps can start having a reverse effect on our weight loss. Don’t get frustrated and give up, that won’t solve any problems and will only get you further away from your goal.
Take a minute and read through this weight loss checklist to see if you need to hit the reset button and get BACK TO THE BASICS!
- Are you self-documenting? One common reason to slow weight loss or no weight loss at all is because of UNDERESTIMATING calorie intake. Record each bite that goes into your mouth because the answer might be right in front of you.
- PORTION CONTROL. Are your portions getting bigger and bigger? Have you stopped weighing and measuring your foods? Even healthy foods can add up, so get back to the basics! Get the scale and measuring cups back out to avoid consuming extra calories.
- BREAKFAST IS IMPORTANT. Are you eating breakfast? Kick-start that metabolism by starting your day off the right way with consuming food within the first hour of waking up! Make some egg muffin frittatas or have some Greek yogurt with nuts! It doesn’t have to be fancy!
- VARIED EXERCISE. Are you exercising at least 5 days a week for 30-60 min? Any exercise will help keep your metabolism revved up. So keep moving BUT doing varied types of exercise to work different muscle groups can help you see more changes faster, so CHANGE IT UP! Try some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workouts to really mix it up!
- HYDRATION IS KEY. Are you drinking enough water? Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Your goal should be 1/2 your bodyweight in ounces. (Try 8 oz before and after each time you eat a meal or snack).
- WHY ARE YOU EATING? Are you mindlessly eating? Are you snacking between meals because of hunger or for other reasons like you’re tired, you’re stressed, you have had a hard day, your spouse/loved one is eating OR simply because the food is there? If so, start documenting the reasons why you are eating to become more aware (calories add up).
- Are your hormones in balance? Hormones may slow down weight loss and stimulate production of insulin. A Thyroid imbalance can also slow down your metabolism so make sure there is not an underlying issue causing your plateau!
- CONSISTENT EATING. Are you eating frequently? Skipping meals and snacks normally leads to “making up missed calories” later on in the day. Eating every 3-4 hours enables your blood glucose levels to stay normalized so there is not a drop which normally results in increased appetite and sugar cravings. If you consume too many calories at one sitting, whatever the body can’t use will be store as FAT.
- CHANGE IT UP. Are you getting bored with dieting? Variety is the key! Change up your meal/snack habits to avoid high calorie options. Check out our Pinterest page for some great recipes to keep it varied!
- WEEKEND SABATOGE. Are your weekend habits the same as the work week? Most people dine out more on the weekends and re-gain weight that was lost during the week because of food portions, food selections and skipping snacks between meals. If you notice these habits, start changing social eating selections and limit how much you eat out.